We’re back at it, just in time for Christmas! I hope your Christmas prep has been merry, your gift-buying hassle-free, and your weather at least somewhat winter-y. It was crazy-warm in West Virginia in the weeks following Thanksgiving and it’s been warm back here in Northern Illinois, too. A white Christmas it will not be.
So I had my first surgery yesterday! It was my wisdom teeth. And you can probably tell by the fact that I’m writing coherently that I’m feeling okay. I only had my bottom wisdom teeth instead of all four, and they grew in such a way that the roots pretty much surrounded the nerve canal like a cage. So to avoid permanent damage to the nerve, the surgeon took out the crowns but left most of the roots (except a few loose ones) in my mouth. Chances are the roots will just hang out there and will set in bone without any problems, but there’s a small possibility that they’ll start growing out of my gums one day and I’ll need them removed, too. Recovery has been really breezy so far…the anesthesia fogginess wore off pretty much entirely while I was in the recovery room after surgery, and by the time I got home I was walking around and talking and helping myself to food and my medicine. The prescription pain pills have had zero weird side effects and I’m currently rather pain-free on just a few ibuprofen. If things continue like this, I might be able to go to Christmas mass and a family Christmas gathering. Huzzah!
Also, if you’ve been through surgery, what’s the weirdest thing you saw/heard/felt/said while still coming out of anesthesia or while on pain pills? When I was waking up from surgery I heard some weird noises and saw some weird lights through my closed eyes and for some reason my mind equated that with watching Star Wars. So for about half a second I was convinced that I was at the new Star Wars movie.
Anyway, here are some things the last few weeks have taught me!
- Dragging a heavy suitcase through the streets and trains of Chicago is not fun. My arm actually hurt the next day from it. If you ever have to carry luggage through a big city, pack light. Oy vey.
- The Force has been strong with all these Star Wars memes. My favorites? The Bad Lip Readings of the original three movies. SO GOOD. Check them out here, here, and here. Make sure to stick around for the songs at the end of one and two.
- If you wanna feel fancy for a few hours, a fondue restaurant is a good way to do it.
- Pittsburgh is a nice city! I can’t believe I’ve been in West Virginia for 18 months but only went a few weeks ago.
- Keeping a prayer routine on vacation is hard. I associate “routine” with a schedule most of the time, and since I’m not on a schedule right now, I haven’t really been praying since Christmas break started. I need to step up my game.
- You’re never too old to take a picture with Santa.